Gut healing chickpea and vegetable coconut curry recipe
Our comforting chickpea and vegetable coconut curry recipe is great for sharing with friends or family. Packed full of veggies and hitting 15 plant-based points…your body and gut microbes will thank you!
Total time: 40min
1.5 tbsp olive oil
4-5 large garlic cloves, chopped
1.5 inch ginger, chopped
1/2 jalapeño chopped, adjust to taste
1 medium red onion, chopped
400g can diced tomatoes
1 tps coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt, to taste
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 medium sweet potato, diced
400g can chickpeas, drained and washed
1-1.5 cups water
400g can coconut milk
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 lime, juiced
Fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped ginger, garlic, jalapeño and onions. Cook for around 3 minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and stir. Cover the pot with a lid and let the tomatoes cook for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the lid and then add the spices and salt to taste. Stir and cook the spices for 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower florets, diced sweet potatoes and can of chickpeas. Stir until the veggies and chickpea are well coated with the spices.
- Then add water and can of coconut milk and give a good stir. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stir couple of times in between.
- Then remove lid, add sliced bell peppers. Cover and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Remove lid, add chopped coriander and squeeze in fresh lime juice. Turn off heat. The curry might look thin at this point but it will continue to thicken as it cools down. Serve with natural yoghurt and rice or wholegrain roti.