7 signs you need prebiotics in your diet
Prebiotics are all the rage these days, but how do you know if you need them?
I've been researching the gut microbiome for the last 10 years, so have seen first-hand that increasing prebiotic intake can be potentially life-changing for everyone. In simple terms, prebiotics are like healthy fertiliser for the gut microbiome. They provide nourishment for the beneficial bacteria that live in our microbiome, and allow they to produce health-promoting Short-Chain Fatty Acids (SCFAs). That being said, are are the some more specific symptoms and signs you need prebiotics in your diet:
- Digestive discomfort: one of the main signs you need prebiotics is frequently experiencing digestive issues such as constipation, diarrhoea, bloating, or gas. This could be a sign that your gut microbiota is imbalanced. Prebiotics can help nourish beneficial bacteria, promoting a healthier gut environment.
- Irregular bowel movements: inconsistent or irregular bowel movements may indicate an imbalance gut microbiome. Prebiotics can help regulate bowel movements, in part by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria that support healthy digestion.
- Low fibre intake: prebiotics are often found in fibrous foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to consume enough prebiotic fibre, leading to a lack of prebiotic support for your gut bacteria.
- Feeling run down: a significant portion of your immune system is located in your gut, and a healthy gut microbiome plays a key role in supporting immune function. Frequent illnesses or infections could be a sign your microbiome needs a little help.
- Skin irritation or acne: there is a strong connection between gut health and skin health. Conditions such as acne, eczema, or psoriasis may improve with a healthier gut microbiome producing lots of SCFAs. If you have skin issues, it could be a sign that your gut needs attention.
- Low mood: emerging research suggests a strong link between gut health and mental well-being, partly through the regulation of inflammation. If you frequently experience mood swings, anxiety, or depression, it might be related to an imbalanced gut microbiome. Prebiotics will help your microbiome keep chronic inflammation levels low and could help support your gut-brain axis.
- Challenges with weight management: if you struggle with losing weight or with frequent sugar cravings, it is worth enlisting your microbiome in the fight. Prebiotics can help promote bacteria beneficial for weight management and metabolic health, all the while helping them outcompete unfavourable bacteria that can result in detrimental food cravings.
Looking to increase prebiotic intake?
myota's prebiotic blends are the perfect place to start. One scoop a day of our blends will provide you with 100% of your recommended daily intake and help to support not just your gut health, but your overall wellbeing.